Thursday, March 18, 2010

the shallow end of the gene pool...

so. we all have things passed down to us from our families. traits, habits, quirks, traditions.  i've come to realize over the last few days just how many things i've acquired from my blessed gene pool.

the good:
#1: hair. holy hair. i will NEVER go bald. ever. not even kidding. had my hair did yesterday and it wasn't my normal stylist (i really have to stop talking her up! her schedule is BOOKED!). she was booked through april, so i asked her darling hubby if he had time to do it for me (they own the salon together). so he colored it. and cut it. and styled it. and thinned it. and thinned it. and looked at it one more time. and thinned it again. CRAZY amount of hair. it's not a bad thing, but it's not really the best thing either. sure i'll never go bald, but it's taken YEARS to find a good style and a good stylist that doesn't make it look great right after they cut it and HORRID the other 99% of time time.

#2 quirky names: i get this one SPECIFICALLY from my dad. i caught myself the other day and CRACKED UP. you know...names that parents call their kids that aren't really their names. growing up my brother were always called fuzz nuts. LOVE IT. seriously. can't even tell you how much i love this. i call my kids hosers or goobers. but most recently i caught my self  being 100% my dad: he would always say "come on now son, ..." and whatever the offense was would be listed. started doing it a while ago and really heard myself the last few days using it quite a bit. i'm turning into my father...

the bad:
#1 snoring. yes. it turns out women do snore just as well as men. i actually already knew this, but didn't know it was my very own genetic gift. my dad snores. no. correction. my dad sounds like a 747 with a gull caught in each engine coming down for a crash landing when he sleeps. we're talking LOUD here. we're talking old cartoons where the house was sucked in and blown out while the person slept snoring capabilities. my mum...oh lordy...my mum can be just as bad. AND. it turns out. SO. CAN. I. it seems i was gifted a particular cross breed of snoring: my mum only snores when she's dead tired and my dad can shake the bricks out of a bomb shelter. I. GOT. BOTH. i only snore when i'm dead tired, but apparently i don't half ass it. and yes, i'm just finding this out. well, i kinda knew...you can't help but know when you've *cough* umm...woken yourself up on occasion... but 99% of the time there's no one else around to put up with it. im sure i snored at some point during the whole married thing but it was never brought up. the other night however it was pointed out to me. and it turns out, not only do i snore like a truck downshifting on the highway with a medium sized neighborhood pet stuck in the axle, i'm also impossible to wake up or roll over to stop said snoring. i so wish i knew how to harness this...it would be a GREAT super power. i also may *ahem* happen to fall asleep at inappropriate times when i'm that tired...only a little (a LOT) embarrassing...

there you go. more things you never needed to know about me. i need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment