Tuesday, July 20, 2010

can you see the "what if" monster under my bed?

today all the local news stations are awash with a horrifying story of a local business woman and her son who were killed in an act of domestic violence. please know that i have no information on this besides what’s in the news- but from what i’ve read in the reports this woman had been on her own for the last 6 months (at least) trying to get away from the situation. she was smart. she had support. she had the right tools. and it still didn’t end well.

a year or more ago there was a similar story about a woman whose body was found in a warehouse days after disappearing when she told friends she was going to talk to her abuser “just one last time…”

just one last time…

i hate domestic violence. i loathe the cowards (men and women) who abuse the person they are supposed to love and support. i abhor the behavior and the way society acts and thinks there’s some reason or excuse or something that the VICTIM should have done different.

i am a domestic violence survivor. i’ve talked about it before. it was bad. he never hit me. he never threw things or broke things. you’d be surprised how many people think that it wasn’t “real” domestic violence.

i’ve told pieces of my story. there’s some (oddly) funny thing that make me laugh now. there’s some things that still terrify me. there’s more than a few things that still make me ask questions. and there’s days like today, reading different news reports, seeing other stories played out in the headlines when i wonder…why me? i’ve never been a big believer in the question “why me” i’m more of the school of “why NOT me? why would i be exempt?” but for this i wonder “why me?” why did _I_ make it out safe? why do i keep defying the statistics? why am i the one that refuses to conform?

and then there’s the even more terrifying questions: what if i’m not safe? what if i’m not exempt? what’s to keep my ex from snapping about owing back child support and coming after me? what makes me so sure that i’m out and away from it and protected? i mean…realistically my divorce has been finalized for…damn…just at 6 years now (some day in july, 2004…not sure the exact date). so i’m a ways out. but so much has changed in that time. he’s currently 5k+ behind in support…people have done freaky things about way less money. he knows people are looking for him, yet no one can find him. what’s to keep something from happening and no one STILL being able to find him?

is domestic violence ever over?

i still find myself doing things only because i still think that’s what i’m “supposed” to do. i put my purse in the grocery cart instead of keeping it on my shoulder because it “looks like a white trash whore” when i keep it on my shoulder. i’m still leery about leaving the house without make up. i still tense up when i hear trucks pull up outside my house at night even though i haven’t had to worry about what kind of mood he would be in when he got home from work in over 6 years. there are still memories attached to everything- i can’t help but think about the fight over green beans when i make tater tot casserole. i always hesitate when i invite people to events because i remember being accused of attempting to kidnap him when i invited him to thanksgiving at a friends house. i remember…god…i remember too much for being away from it 3 times longer than i was in it.

it’s obviously still not over for me. what if it’s not over for him? what if he comes back? the woman in the news today was a damn strong woman. she fought for women’s rights and children’s rights. and it still happened to her. i like to think of myself as a strong woman. a fighter…

years ago when i moved out i had been talking to a domestic violence counselor to try to get things in order and figure out all the how’s and when’s. to this day, there is one thing she said that STILL plays over and over in my mind: once he knows you’re leaving, NEVER, EVER, under any circumstances go anywhere alone with him. at that point he has nothing left to lose.
sure enough, the minute he found out i was leaving he wanted to go somewhere and talk. just inside, away from the people (a friend came to help me move). just for a minute, one last talk…

over and over in the back of my head i kept hearing the voice: never, ever go anywhere with him alone. maybe i was going to be one of the statistics. maybe there was a different ending that day. but i listened to that voice. how many women have never heard that voice? how many women did have a friend there? how many women thought “just one last time…it’ll be ok…”.

maybe you can hear the voice. maybe you can have the support. maybe sometimes there’s just nothing left that you can do. maybe some people are just hell bent on destruction no matter what safe guards are in place.

i’ve spent today sad and scared and angry and confused. sad for the loss of a beautiful woman i never knew, scared that it could be me, angry that these things keep happening, confused how people can still blame the victims. there was no reason at all for all this loss. there is no excuse. there is no explanation. there is tragedy. there is sadness. there is monumental loss. there is a gaping hole left even between people who never met.

i’m sad that so many people are hurting because of one act of cowardice. i’m angry that this many years later i’m still scared. i’m confused why people want to blame rather than support or fix.

most of all i’m scared.

10 comments:

  1. This is a very powerful post. I have one coming up tomorrow that is about domestic violence as well. I too am a survivor and I don't think it ever fully goes away. It's been about 6 years for me too and I'm still on edge a lot. I still do things (like the purse thing) on a regular basis cause I was "trained" to do them. I'm in a normal healthy relationship and I STILL do those things now. *HUGS* I can relate. Thanks for posting this. I'm going to share with some of my friends if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was directed to your blog by Michelle (MommyLovesStilettos) and I just want to say thank you. Thank you for sharing this with others and for showing women who may be in this situation themselves. I was physically abused as a child and verbally abused as an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @michelle- thank you for reading and passing it along. if someone can learn from me it makes it ALMOST worth it.

    @rocker mom- thank you for taking the time to read and welcome to my little corner of the web.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are here, to speak for the ones who cannot. One thing I am so proud of my state for is passing a law that requires those accused of domestic violence and under an EPO will be rquired to wear GPS monitoring at all times. IF they come within an area of the victim, drive by their work whatever theywill immediately be arrested and put in jail. Sadly it took the death of a beautiful young woman at hte hands of a well to do man who was the son of a former governor to even make the law a reality. It should have been in effect years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been almost 7 years and I still flinch when someone reaches to open a door for me....I still wait for 'him' to snap....I don't know if it's ever over. I'm not sure if it will always be in the back of my mind...I do know that it makes dating nearly impossible when you're absolutely terrified to let anyone in.
    And to anyone who ever tells you that wasn't 'really abuse' you send them to me so I can tell them to eat a big fat dick. There's more to it than black eyes and bruises gawddamnit.
    http://notyouraveragesinglemomma.com/2010/02/15/theres-more-to-it-than-bruises-black-eyes/

    Good for you for getting out and bettering your life...for realizing the truth...you DESERVE better in life and that HE was and still is full of shit.
    You my dear, are one hell of a woman
    Keep it up....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in a relationship where I was verbally abused - once he threw a remote at the wall and shattered it...and that was kind of where I made the leap, "What if he hits ME next time?" and started looking for an apartment the next day. I don't live any where near him any more...I THINK he is still far away where I left him...and my name has changed and we had no children, but STILL when I see a red pickup in my neighborhood - or a guy who looks like him - I freeze. And I left over 10 years ago.

    Keep going lady! Its all going to be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @singedwingangel BEST. LAW. EVER. sad that there has to be a law like that, but glad that there ARE laws like that.

    @singlemama_cc ummm...that blog: KICKS ASS. hellz to the yes for speaking out so powerfully.

    @mommy Lisa- isn't if funny how we react? every time i see a white dodge i freeze...the truck that _I_ took in the divorce and traded in...and it still spooks me. *sigh* never over but it WILL be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think it's ever really over for the victims either. But, I believe that Rebecca would say that you do your damnedest to move on. She was an advocate for bettering your life, whether you were the abused or the abuser, she believed that with strength and support you could change your life for the better. She was a tremendous woman.

    So are YOU.

    You are moving forward. You are a great mom. You protect your children and yourself.

    I am so sad for all of us who have had to move on from a past like that, but I am proud of each of us as well. We may be forever changed, but each of us can learn how to make those changes work for our futures and the futures of our families.

    Also, I love you, Butterbean.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was sent here by Mommy Loves Stilettos & thank you for the read. So sad & scary to hear about :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's been 10 years for me & I still panic when I see someone who looks like him or when I see the type of car he drove. Luckily my soon to be husband, is understanding & wonderful & will protect me with his life if need be. Doesn't hurt that he has a concealed weapons permit & is in the Army - makes me feel a little safer. :)

    ReplyDelete